If you haven’t been to the River Safari yet, there’s now another good reason to make a trip there.
During the June school holidays, visitors who go during the weekends will get to view a herd of manatees in a new behind-the-scenes tour of River Safari’s Amazon Flooded Forest.
Visitors to the behind-the-scenes tour will get to see the manatees undergo medical training, helping in the food preparation process, and trying their hand at feeding the animals. There’s also the opportunity to learn about manatee care and how to keep these aquatic mammals healthy and happy.
Chubby, gentle and simply adorable, the manatees will surely have kids and adults alike go gaga over them.
Selfie lovers should also look out for photo opportunity with the manatee mascot. There are other activities organised specially for kids such as craft activities, and quizzes to test the kids’ understanding of the manatee fun facts.
To sign up for the tour, visit https://estore.wrs.com.sg/education-public-programmes. Signups are only open after 30 May 2016.
Manatee behind-the-scenes tour
Address: 80 Mandai Lake, Singapore 729826
Dates: 5, 11, 19, 25 June
Time: 9.30am – 11.00am
Maximum capacity: 30pax
Fee: $18 per pax
Note: Behind-the-scenes tour is open to sign ups only and subject to availability
To give your kids a head start on the manatee fun fact quizzes at the River Safari, here are some fun facts on the mammal:
- Manatees are herbivorous mammals which feed on sea grass and algae. They eat about 10% of their body weight in plant mass every day.
- Manatees may look fat and insulated, but their bulk is actually mostly made up of their stomach and intestines.
- It is believed that manatees evolved from the same land animals as elephants over 50 million years ago.
- The Amazonian manatee, West Indian manatee and West African manatee are considered ‘threatened’ species. They face a high risk of extinction in the wild.
- Unlike sea lions or seals, manatees never leave the water. They lack strong front flippers to move on land.